What are the five most contested sites in Jerusalem? How many of them do your religion students know? Here's what CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor, Daniel Burke, argues are the most contested:
- The Temple Mount: It's here, inside the Dome of the Rock, that Abraham almost sacrificed his son, Issac, before an angel intervened.
- Haram al-Sharif: Muslims call the Temple Mount "Haram al-Sharif' or Noble Sanctuary. After completion of the Dome of the Rock, Muslims, soon after the death of the prophet, built the Al-Aqsa Mosque,which became a center of learning and attracted teachers from all over the world.
- The Western Wall: Located at the western foot of the Temple Mount, is the last link to the temple that Solomon built.
- The Church of the Holy Sepulchre: Pictured below, the Church is the place where Jesus was crucified and buried. It is an important pilgrimage center for Christians all around the world.
- The Garden Tomb: Believed by some to be the site for the resurrection of Jesus.